Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Better than Nutella

By Chocolate-Covered Katie
Meet my new obsession:



Soon to be your new obsession.
Once you try this rich chocolate spread, you’ll never want to put your spoon down.
Never ever.
Unless, of course, you don’t like Nutella… Is that even possible? Is there a person in this world who can resist that velvety chocolate butter? (If it’s true, please send me your spoon. I’ll happily eat your portion. I’m nice like that.)

Better than Nutella?
  • My version is much lower in sugar (or it can be sugar free!)
  • And this one’s okay for vegans
(My homemade version also has just half the calories of store-bought Nutella, but I didn’t specifically set out to make a lower-calorie recipe. It just turned out that way.)


Healthy Nutella
(Makes about 2 cups)
This is a Gluten-Free Recipe.
Roast hazelnuts for 10-14 minutes at 400 F. Rub them together in a paper towel to get the skins off. (It’s ok if a few stubborn skins won’t come off.) In a Vita-mix or food processor, blend the nuts until they’ve turned to butter, then add all other ingredients and blend a long time until it’s smooth like Nutella! (I think I blended off-and-on for a full two minutes. It’s extra-creamy in a Vita-mix, but a Cuisinart food processor works as well.)
The nutritional info includes the sugar/agave. For a sugar-free version, you can replace all of the sugar with an equal amount of xylitol.  Or, you can sweeten with stevia instead. (I haven’t personally tried this recipe using just stevia, so I can’t vouch for the resulting taste if you go that route.)


No comments:

Post a Comment